There are many great reasons to use environmentally friendly cleaning products. One of the main reasons that people like to avoid traditional cleaning products is because of the risks to health and environment. There are some ingredients contained in traditional cleaning products that can cause irritation to the skin and eyes as well as mucous membranes. Some of the most common side effects that people suffer including asthma, throat and eye irritation and headaches.
Health risks of cleaning products
Some of the other health risks and complications brought on my exposure to cleaning chemicals including chemical burns, asthma induced by toxic fumes, poisoning, cancer risk and congenital birth defects in women who have had a great deal of exposure to chemicals. Some of the most dangerous chemicals in cleaning compounds include 1, 4 dioxane and formaldehyde.
Additionally, when people have certain jobs such as janitorial work, they can be exposed to dangerous chemicals on a regular basis which can cause health risks. Some chemicals can get into waterways and cause pollution if they are disposed of improperly. Some cleaning products are volatile and can have a negative impact on the air quality both inside and outside of a business or home. Cleaning products do not always list every ingredient that they contain. This lack of listing means that a person who is purchasing a product does not necessarily have full knowledge of the product that they are purchasing and how it can negatively impact their health.
There is a growing body of research that shows that the use of some cleaning products can cause people who are otherwise healthy to develop asthma. A study of 10 countries involving 3,500 people who were free of asthma and used spray cleaners at least one time per week in their home had increased their risk of developing asthma nine years later. This study used commonly used spray products including glass cleaners, furniture sprays and glass cleaners.
Green cleaning products to the rescue
The good news is that there are many natural alternatives to these dangerous and toxic cleaning compounds. These green cleaning products can be purchased and some of them can be made at home using a few simple ingredients. A quick search of the internet will reveal that there are many different recipes available for low cost and versatile cleaning products. All of the ingredients used are natural and safe for the environment and will not cause any pollution indoors. In addition to that there are also cleaning products that are not 100% green but will not have a negative impact on a person’s health.
Recipes for make your own cleaning products
Some of the best natural cleaning products include a mixture or combination of vinegar, castile soap, tea tree oil and baking soda.
There are many different recipes that can be made at home and a few of them include:
- Scrubbing Product for many different uses: Combine water and baking soda to form a thick paste. Using a sponge, brush, or scrubber, apply the paste to the surface of an area that you wish to clean and scrub gently. Not only will the area be clean, it will also smell fresher as well.
- Laundry Soap: combine 1 cup of soap flakes, ½ cup of washing soda and ½ cup of baking soda. You can also add in 1 or 2 tbsp of oxy bleach if desired.
- Cleaning product for glass: mix ¼ cup white vinegar, 2 cups warm water, 1 tbsp cornstarch and ¼ cup of rubbing alcohol. This mixture can be used to clean glass surfaces including stove tops, mirrors, and windows.
- All purpose cleaner: Combine equal parts of water and vinegar in a spray bottle to clean a wide range of hard surfaces.
- Drain cleaner: insert around ½ cup of baking soda into your clogged drain and chase it down with a cup of vinegar. Allow the mixture to work for 15 minutes or so and then pour boiling water down the drain.
- Air freshener: Combine dried or fresh flowers, boil water with vanilla, add slices of oranges and lemon, cinnamon, and other spices. If you want to remove odours from your carpet, sprinkle baking soda over the carpet and allow it to sit for an hour or so, then vacuum it up. Fridge odours can be absorbed by placing a bowl of baking soda inside.
- Disinfectant: Combine 1 tbsp liquid castile soap, 2 cups of water and 1 tsp of tea tree oil to create a disinfectant that can be used for a wide range of purposes and also removes germs.
- White vinegar can be used to remove pet urine and odors from carpet and also acts to prevent the pet from returning there to pee again.
Cleaning products do not need to be harsh and dangerous to be effective. Many green cleaning products are not only safer for the environment, they are safer for people too and do not pose a risk to their health. If a person wants to use green cleaning products and green household products, they should look for products that first list every ingredient that they contain and also are biodegradable and nontoxic. These products should also be free of fragrances and dyes. A review of every label should be carefully undertaken before purchasing any of these types of products for use in the home or at a commercial location.
Check for natural ingredients
Just because the label of a product states that it is green does not mean that it is totally safe. Always use precautions when you try certain products or store them away. By using natural ingredients, green cleaning products are easy to create and can be safely stored for an indefinite amount of time. Harsh chemicals and dangerous cleaning products do not always do a better job of cleaning and the safer products that can be combined to create green products at home are not only better for the environment but do not pose risks to the health of those who use those products. If you are looking for alternative products to harsh cleaning products, try some of the recipes contained in this article.
There are many reasons why Wellington Cleaners services are beneficial. Not only do they keep your home clean but they also save you money. They also help you stay healthy by keeping your home allergens at bay and making sure that your home is safe to live in every day.